The content that a student sees by default in Student View is determined by their:
- My Plan*
- Grade band*
- Differentiated level*
- Student View configuration*
- Accessibility Settings
- View Settings
*Applicable to Unique Learning System Only
The My Plan allows service providers to assign specific lesson activities in Unique Learning System to appear in Student View on a particular day. Users who have not set up a My Plan will see all 30 lessons by default, and the unit will automatically update on the first Wednesday of the month. Learn how to edit a My Plan to control the activities and their availability dates here. Continue reading to learn how to hide an entire lesson from your students without a My Plan.
Students can only be assigned to one grade band, and it must be accessible to the service provider who has them on their caseload. Subscription Managers determine grade band access. Note, for the most accurate standards reporting and compliance, we recommend that students are placed in the grade band that matches their assigned grade level. Learn how to edit a student’s grade band here.
A student’s differentiated level is determined by the Profile specific to their grade band. Students receive a differentiated level per category as well as an overall score. The overall score determines the level of differentiated materials they receive by default in Student View. If you feel your student is seeing the wrong differentiated level for all lessons, learn how to create a new Profile or edit the existing one here. If you feel the student is seeing the wrong differentiated level for only some lessons, continue on.
Student View Configuration
Student View requires an initial configuration but should be updated as needed based on changes in a student's current abilities. In the configuration, you can perform the following tasks:
- Set Reading Level Priority
- Each month, when new lessons are released, our system will automatically match book levels available to the best option for the student and the goal of the activity. Please note, it is likely that multiple levels of the same book will be used to complete a single lesson. The book levels in the monthly lessons vary and not all reading levels will be available for each book in the lessons. Click here to learn more about which levels of books are available.
- Override Differential Level Settings
- Override the default differentiated level for specific lessons. This is useful when students only need a different level for a particular lesson or subject.
- Set Inspire Differential Level Settings
- The Inspire Differential Level Settings section only appears if you have a license for the Inspire Classics add-on. Inspire Classics allows for a Level 4 setting. This indicates a unique learner who is working toward general education standards vs. extended standards.
- Manage Library Books
- Library books remain available in the My Library Books tab of Student View until removed by the service provider.
- Show / Hide Lessons*
- *The Show/Hide Lessons for Student View only appears if your My Plan has not been set up. This allows you to hide or display entire lessons to all students on your caseload in Student View at once. Once the student selects the lesson, they will then select an activity.
Login and Accessibility Settings
The Login and Accessibility Settings tab allows you to set login methods for your students as well as adjust the reading speed, enable or disable text-to-speech and completion prompts, provide highlighting options and update view and interactivity settings. These settings control how your student logs in, what it looks like when they log in, and how the iDoc behaves in your solutions. Learn how to configure login and accessibility settings here.
The View Settings allow you to control settings specific to each solution by student. They may include:
- Unique Learning System
- Change grade band, grade level and reporting standard type (for reporting purposes), share settings and configure Student View.
- Determine if the schedule will be time-based or allow for schedule on-demand.
- Determine if your student will be able to view current issues and Breaking News (and at what level), Communication Boards, and Today’s Weather and Joey’s Locker activities.
- SymbolStix PRIME
- Enable or disable the ability for students to see board titles or folders.
- L3 Skills
- Turn on accessibility settings to allow any game that supports accessibility features to be playable by those with visual and hearing impairments, as well as manage which games appear on your student’s dashboard.