Incorporate full accessible courses for subjects such as Civics, World History, Life Science, Physical Science, and Earth and Space Science into your intermediate, middle school, and high school curriculum with the Science and Social Studies Courses section of Unique Learning System.
Science and social studies lessons have been realigned to fit within the most appropriate Unique Learning System grade bands. Lessons that were previously the Supplemental Science and Social Studies Lessons will be placed in the Science and Social Studies Course library so that teachers may pace instruction with general education classrooms or district pacing guides.
Lessons are available in the following grade bands:
- Intermediate: Earth & Space Science, Life Science, Physical Science, U.S. History, Civics/Government, Geography, and Economics.
- Middle School: Earth & Space Science, Life Science, Physical Science, U.S. History, World History, Civics/Government, Geography, and Economics.
- High School: Earth & Space Science, Life Science, Physical Science, U.S. History, World History, Civics/Government, Geography, and Economics.
Configuring Courses in a My Plan
Add materials from the Science and Social Studies Courses to a My Plan or Individual Student Plan. The books and activities will appear in Student View on the days you have added them to a content block.
To add activities from a Science and Social Studies Course:
- Select the Edit Monthly Plans tab on the Teacher Dashboard.
- Select the orange exclamation point on the Science or Social Studies block.
- Select the orange exclamation point from the right menu.
- Select Course Activity from the drop-down menu.
- Select the desired category.
- Select the desired course and use the checkboxes to select the desired activities and settings.
- Select Set As Configured.
- Use the plus sign to add additional content.
- Pro Tip: Open the newly added iDoc to review the book title if needed.
- Select the block to open the menu. Then select the pencil icon to edit and select Library Book from the Add Resource drop-down menu to locate the accompanied book if needed.
- Select Save.
Can I get a list of all Science and Social Studies Courses?
To get a list of all available courses select Science and Social Studies Courses from the left menu in Unique Learning System.
Quickly find lessons by searching or browsing. For example, search for a lesson in Civics, World History, Life Science, or Physical Science (depending on the grade band). Lessons display with short descriptions and links to an interactive document. All lessons are accompanied by detailed lesson plans and are differentiated at three levels to meet the needs of students.
How to search and browse:
Type content, subjects, or keywords into the search bar and click the magnifying glass icon to perform a search.
Select browse to look through all lessons by tag or by subject. Select a tag to view lessons with a specific tag. Select the options under Browse by Subject to locate lessons with specific criteria.
The results of the search will display with up to 6 results per page. Each result will display as a card and show the lesson title along with further details such as book title and level, category, grade band and a short description of the lesson.
Select the iDoc icon to launch the lesson as an interactive document. Select the blue book icon to view the book that accompanies the lesson. Select the Download as PDF text under either icon for a PDF copy.
Each lesson contains a detailed lesson plan. Read over the lesson plan to view information on the library book, activities and other details of the lesson..