- What is the content for this year’s Holiday Unit?
- Are there additional materials for the Holiday Unit?
2019 Holiday Unit
Holiday Pen Pals is theme for the 2019 Holiday Unit. The complimentary Holiday Unit is available in addition to the eight thematic units provided in your subscription. Available to start planning for on the first Wednesday of November, the Holiday Unit focuses on holidays around the world. In this year’s all new unit, students explore the customs, traditions and geography of other countries through stories and activities centered around pen pals.
- Reading pen pal letters from characters in Sweden, Kenya, India, Brazil and Australia.
- Locating countries and land forms on a map.
- Making reindeer cookies.
- Experimenting with how temperature affects light from a glow stick.
- Writing letters to real or imaginary pen pals.
Consider using any extra time during this month to:
- Review each student's observational profile and make updates as needed.
- Perform Benchmark Assessments on selected skill areas for each student.
- Review results from assessments taken during the past few months.
- Look for trends in those results that could apply to instructional strategies during the next half of the school year.
- Celebrate successes!
Looking for some extra materials in addition to the Holiday Unit? Here are a few tips from our subscribers:
- Eight articles are provided in the Holidays section of News-2-You for the month of December, with topics such as Pearl Harbor Day, Winter Starts, Hanukkah, Christmas, Boxing Day, Kwanzaa, New Year's Eve & New Year's Day.
- Need a symbol-supported version of Deck the Halls or the Twelve Days of Christmas? There are five Holiday Songs included in the Extra Materials section of News-2-You, all symbol-supported.
- Check out the Holiday category in the n2y Library, which contains numerous leveled books just in time for the season. One hidden treasure in the library is a series of books that show how Christmas is celebrated in different countries including Australia Christmas, Chinese Christmas, Denmark Christmas and Italian Christmas.