The 2020 Holiday Unit for Unique Learning System will be We Can Make a Difference.
Students will explore opportunities for civic participation during the holiday season by learning about ways they can help the local community.
Build empathy and kindness
Explore ways to make a difference in the local community by giving time, talent, and/or resources
Participate in giving back to the community through a service-learning project such as sending holiday cards to a nursing home or hospital
Consider Using Any Extra Time During This Month To:
- Review each student's observational profile and make updates as needed.
- Perform Benchmark Assessments on selected skill areas for each student.
- Review results from assessments taken during the past few months.
- Look for trends in those results that could apply to instructional strategies during the next half of the school year.
- Celebrate successes!
Looking For Some Extra Materials in Addition to the Holiday Unit? Here Are a Few Tips From Our Subscribers:
- Eight articles are provided in the Holidays section of News-2-You for the month of December, with topics such as Pearl Harbor Day, Winter Starts, Hanukkah, Christmas, Boxing Day, Kwanzaa, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day.
- Need a symbol-supported version of Deck the Halls or the Twelve Days of Christmas? There are five Holiday Songs included in the Extra Materials section of News-2-You, all symbol-supported.
- Check out the Holiday category in the n2y Library, which contains numerous leveled books just in time for the season. One hidden treasure in the library is a series of books that show how Christmas is celebrated in different countries including Australia Christmas, Chinese Christmas, Denmark Christmas, and Italian Christmas.