Inspire Classics is an add-on to Unique Learning System that meets ELA course requirements while giving the gift of classic literature to ALL middle and high school students. Adapted texts are available in text only and symbol-supported versions and lesson activities are differentiated to four levels to meet the needs of a wide range of unique learners.
The Inspire Classics add-on shares the following functionality with Unique Learning System:
- Student View
- Student Daily Performance & Data Collection
- Teacher Reports
- Ability to assign content via the My Plan
Inspire Classics Lesson Plans
The lesson plans for each act or chapter are accessible from the Inspire Classics section of the Unique Learning System menu. Simply select the desired Inspire Classics title from the top of the page.
Lesson Plans are available in both a PDF and interactive iDoc format. Each chapter or act is accompanied by a robust lesson plan including:
Play/Book Overview - This overview provides information about the play/book, the genre and background building information that provides context to readers prior to reading. The overview is located in the first act or chapter of each play/book only.
Lesson Overview - This overview provides a summary of the chapter or act, an introduction to the characters, an Activate Prior Knowledge section to help build a connection to real life, as well as lists important words to know including vocabulary, literacy and power words.
Lesson at a Glance - This page provides the activities for each lesson, the suggested pacing, materials and resources that are needed and included with Unique Learning System/Inspire, as well as a list of additional materials needed to complete the lesson.
Activities - Each activity has a lesson plan of its own that contains the Activity Objectives, Instructional Routine, and Check Understanding sections.
- The Activity Objectives define the overall goal in the context of each activity. Relevant standards specific to your state will be listed on the My Plan after assigning the activity.
- The Instructional Routine includes steps to effectively introduce, model, practice and review the instructional targets of the lesson.
- Introduce: The Introduce section includes instructions for readying students for learning and establishing the learning goal for the activity. Example: “I will use context clues from the text and a dictionary to tell the meaning of words.”
- Model: The Model section includes instructions for the service provider to demonstrate application of skills and strategies related to the learning goals. Suggested language is typically provided as support for thinking aloud.
- Provide Practice: The Provide Practice section outlines how each student will perform the activity according to his or her suggested differentiated level.
- Review: The Review section includes instructions on how to close the activity after practice is completed.
- The Check Understanding section provides an informal progress monitoring opportunity which can yield information about the success of a lesson and aid in future planning. A prompt is provided for each level of differentiation.
Assigning Inspire Classics Activities
As Inspire Classics is an add-on to Unique Learning System, the following settings will automatically apply to Inspire Classics:
Adjustments made in any of these areas will modify the Student View experience. The Student View Configuration area in particular may require updating for those new to Inspire Classics.
Inspire Classics are available in two versions, text only and symbol-supported. By default, students will receive the text only version unless the ‘Use Symbol Supported Version When Available’ checkbox is selected at the bottom of the Set Reading Level Priority tab in student view configuration.
Student profiles recommend a differentiated level of 1, 2 or 3 for each student. By default the system will provide activities based on this suggestion from the profile. An additional level 4 is provided in Inspire Classics for students who are working towards general education standards. The profile recommendation can be overridden to level 4 in Inspire Classics from the student view configuration Inspire Differential Level Settings tab.
When planning to assign activities, service providers should plan approximately three to five days per act or chapter to complete each play or book. A suggested pacing specific to each activity is provided on the Lesson at a Glance page of the lesson plan.
Inspire Classic activities can be assigned to a My Plan from the Teacher Dashboard or from the Inspire Classics page via the Quick Assign button .
How to Assign from the Teacher Dashboard:
- Navigate to the Teacher Dashboard/Unique Learning System Home page.
- Select the Edit Monthly Plans tab in the top right corner.
- Select the plus icon in the desired block.
- Enter Content Title.
- Select Inspire Activity from the Add Resource drop-down menu.
- Locate the desired activity and use the checkboxes to select the desired activities and settings.
- Select Save.
- Pro Tip: Use the copy icon to quickly assign to multiple days.
How to Assign from the Inspire Classics Page:
- Navigate to the Inspire Classics section of the Unique Learning System menu.
- Select the desired Inspire Classic.
- Select the Click to View Activities link under the desired act or chapter.
- Select the Quick Assign icon to the right of the desired activity.
- Choose to Quick Assign to My Plan or to Quick Assign to Homework.
- Pro Tip: If selecting to Quick Assign to My Plan, multiple days can be selected.